Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Tis So Sweet..."

"I believe..." we sang these words as part of a praise song today, and it was impressed upon me to think about them. When we say "I believe in Jesus," what are we saying. There are so many times that that phrase is used in the Bible and I often wonder if there is a more accurate word to use. I think there is so much more to believing than believing. I have often wanted to replace that word with "trust." It seems to fit better. To believe "in" something means to trust it. I remember hearing a speaker at a Billy Graham crusade tell a story..(it may have been Billy Graham himself) about a man who was the worlds best tightrope walker. He could even do tricks like take a wheelbarrow across the wire without having any trouble. He asked a friend, "Do you believe that I could carry a person across the wire in the wheelbarrow?" The friend replied, "Oh, yes. I have no doubt that you could do it.... I believe you can." The tightrope walker found out the extent of the friend's belief when he asked him, "Do you want to go first?"
Believing in Jesus means believing "in" Him to the point that you will place your life in His hands. You will do what He asks and trust Him for the outcome. You will sacrifice your ability to control your destiny and "trust" him to take control of the "wheelbarrow" of your life. Are you a believer..... Are you a "truster?" Faith is the action of trusting Jesus... Faith is "getting into the wheelbarrow" not out of blindness or stupidity, but because you trust the one in control.



....To trust in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Baptist Church of Maysville, MO's Fan Box